Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Socks socks socks

I have a new craze, I think. I moved on from bags (still love them but somehow they never pan out the way I want them to) to socks. There is something very manageable about knitting socks. It takes one ball of yarn, a couple of needles (okay, a LOT of needles, since I knit them with 5 DPNs) and two hands. Once you have a "recipe" for a basic sock, you can just go ahead and make up the rest as you go along. Socks are easy to take along and are interesting enough to keep you amused for hours on end. And for such a small project, socks take a lot longer than you would think.
Joe and I spent the past week up in Canada with his parents, and I knit a pair of socks for myself during that week. Need I say more? It was one of the longest weeks of my life and I knitted all my annoyance and frustrations at Joe's mother's meddling, whining, passive-agressiveness and just general annoyingness (yes, that is a word. Well, it is now.) into my socks. They are knit from a beautiful self patterning yarn in various shades of brown, cream and gray, and looking at them gives me cravings for chocolate. They hold a lot of evil thoughts though, so hopefully they won't give me gout or hammertoes as a result.

These are my chocolatey socks before washing and blocking properly:

No comments:

 
hosting